Thursday, July 24, 2014

Jack White

If there's one Youtube rabbit hole I fall down on a consistent basics, It would be Jack White's. The White Stripes, The Dead Weather, The Raconteurs, and his solo career; he's got a resume of a legend, and I've never been a fan.
I was never into The White Stripes because they had no bassist [shocker] and I kept mixing them up with The Plain White Tees. Jack White's solo act has gotten enough buzz online to get my attention [the phrase 'the last of rock and roll' will do that]. He kept my attention: white guy deeply inspired by the blues, from a city known for having it's musical golden days behind it, brilliant mind when it came to using gimmicks, and I'm not gonna lie, I could relate alot to the Catholic background.

All this said, I generally have a love/hate relationship with his music. I hear Punk influence when he talks up the Blues legends, the Whites Strips music just sounds unfinished to me, and every time I listen to him, I get the urge to pick up my bass. This is where I see how this love/hate relationship is totally backwards. I love the fact that his music inspire me to pick up an instrument, and I hate the fact that I can't listen to his music for hours on end.

He's coming to a venue near me, and I am completely torn on whether or not to go see him. [Holy crap, Ian Anderson, flutist of Jethro Tull, is coming to my area!]            

No comments:

Post a Comment