Friday, January 4, 2013

From the Time Capsule

When I ordered my bass my mom went to dark corners of her Grandmother's basement to find her electric guitar that hadn't seen the light of day since 1975. The lone savable item from the stash was a three inch wide leather leather strap that cost my mother a pretty penny when she bought it as a Jr. High student. The leather and strap width alone would make it worth $50 today. [The awesome part was when I saw nearly the same strap in MIB III!]

It has been a year and I began to noticed a crack forming from where the metal strap knob meet the tab part of the leather strap. Since I don't have $50 to blow on a good strap I  posted my plight on TalkBass.com.  Ignoring the suggestions to use duck tape and super glue [I'm hoping it was a joke, sorry if it wasn't but it made my history buff self shrink back in terror.] I decided to try out 96tbird's advice of leather balm.


This is what I'm trying, it's Vermont's Original Bag Balm. It was laying around the house, seemed good enough. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'd also give a shout out to Auguste who's advice to have my strap sewn up, it will be used in the future. Thank you to all who replied!   

No comments:

Post a Comment