Thursday, January 30, 2014

Wise Man's Money

There's no money above the 7th fret, this phrase is heard over and over again in the bassist community, and I understand it [more] now. I picked up awhile ago that the 5th fret has all the open notes, but one over; and that the 7th fret is the 5th fret backward [which also happens to be a popular tuning].

What I've recently come to realize is that between the 7th and 12th frets are all the notes, in fact, just within the 7th and 8th frets are six of the eight natural notes. Below just about every natural note is that note sharp [I don't know how or why, but I'd love to find out] the exceptions to this is when B jumps to C and E jumps straight to F. In standard bass guitar tuning the first fret has only the natural F on the E string and the rest are sharps. On the 7th fret you have both B and E, so all are conveniently with reach.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment